Mumbai Dated 15 : The Maharashtra Goods and Service Tax Department has continued its action against the serious tax defaulters & has arrested Mr. Anuj Gupta , the proprietor of Sawy Fabrics, on 15/01/2021, from his Vile Parle Residence  at Mumbai. This constitutes the third major arrest by the department since November 2020.

This Anuj Gupta has a total of 5 firms, viz – savvy fabrics Shiv Textiles, Shakti Textile-  which  are registered under Maharashtra Goods and Service Tax Act 2017 and other 2 firms viz – Subhlene Fabrics and Shubhmangal Textiles Industries which  are registered in the Union Terrritory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli. These  5 Firms  have shown estimated bogus purchases of more than Rs. 272 Cr. and there by have  availed of bogus Input Tax Credit  of more than Rs. 31 Cr.,  without actually buying any goods or services. The two firms at Dadra Nagar Haveli have even received a refund of more than Rs. 11 Cr. from the government. During investigation with the help of the Dadra Nagar Haveli GST officers, it was observed that these companies physically possess only 20% of the total stock value that is claimed by them to be in their possession, and the remaining 80% stock is not actually found to be with them. In this regard various transporters have also deposed before this office that they have not transported any goods as shown in their name by these 5 companies.

Anju Gupta was produced before the Court of the Hon. Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate for commission of above offences which are cognizable and non-bailable and which attract a punishment of imprisonment upto 5 years with fine as per the Goods and Services Act ,2017. He has been sent to 14 days of Judicial custody.

The Maharashtra Goods and Service Tax department has thus once again warned the errant taxpayers and has appealed them to comply with the tax laws.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here