Brief Life-sketch: Prof.Ujjwal K Chowdhury
Date of Birth: 3rd of November, 1965.
Pro Vice Chancellor (Branding, International Relations, Corporate Relations, CSR)
& Dean, School of Media, Communication & Fashion
Adamas University, Kolkata
Regular writer on education, media, society and politics in DNA, Deccan Herald, Deccan Chronicle, Millennium Post, Eastern Chronicle, Financial Chronicle, Newslaundry, The Policy Times, The Tribune, Assam Tribune, Sunday Guardian, The Wire, Gomantak Times, IndiaReal.in etc.
Regularly appearing on India Ahead TV and irregularly in Network 18 News.
Immediate Last Engagement: Education & Media/Communication Assignments & Consulting.
Last: Dean, School of Media, Pearl Academy, Delhi & Mumbai (a Global University Systems, London Group institute).
Previous: Head, Education Division, Ramoji Krian group, Ramoji Film City, Hyderabad, working as Director, Ramoji Krian Universe.
Awards and Recognition:
- Winner of Global Leadership in Communication Education in 2015, awarded by Sharjah and Kerala Chambers of Commerce in Dubai.
- Winner of Hall of Fame in Communication Education in 2011, awarded by Public Relations Council of India (PRCI).
- Winner of Golden Triangle Award of Global Forum for Public Relations (GFPR) in ‘12.
- Editorial Director, www.MediaDesignEdu.com & The Edutainment Show (Mumbai): work involving the editing of www.MediaDesignEdu.com and leading the series of Edutainment Events focused on media and design education in several cities annually.
- Senior Academic Consultant, Amsterdam Film School (to be renamed soon as Amsterdam International Media School), from August 1, 2015 (visiting six times a year). Assignment till July, 2016.Task to make all course outlines and detailed syllabi of courses other than films (new media courses) and take special talks.
- Dean, Faculty of Media, Design & Communication, Amity University, Mumbai from Feb 1, 2015. Engaged in developing Amity University Mumbai as a part of the leading team on ground here, including media and design faculty systems, processes, infra-structure, academic programs, relationships with industry and voluntary organizations.
- Dean, DGMC (Deviprasad Goenka Media College), Mumbai University (June 2014-January 2015): Engaged in building academic, branding and administrative SOPs, marketing communications strategy and plan of action, recruiting additional staff, and creating new high-end studio, shooting floor and preview theatre on campus. The new marketing strategy for 2015 admissions here is based on convergence of offline, online and on-ground communication (a strategic series of ads in three newspapers that target our audience, a major online campaign through 4 social media platforms and selected educational portals apart from re-launch of the college portal, and launching two event properties: Mumbai Media Champs focused on admission branding, and #Hashtag: the Digital Fest focused on industry/placements branding.
- 2013-2014: Nepal Work: Has been consultant to CG Group (launch of the college: CG Insitute of Management, SOPs etc), ICA college (branding), King’s College (re-branding and Quality Policy), NBA Publications (re-launch, re-design of some of its initiatives and setting up the events division) and Himalaya TV (events and contents planning) in the past for a total of 18 months in 2013-14.
- Dean, Whistling Woods International School of Communication, Film City, Mumbai (2011-2013): launched the School of Communication (WWI Film School was there already) with more than expected number of students, with operational break-even in the first year itself. Also, created WWI-SMC brand through 10-city Seminar Series named Inspiration Meets, involving students, and also creating a strong online brand of the institute. Creating a powerful 22 member Advisory Board of senior media professionals. Placing one batch. WWW-SMC has recently got the best emerging media school of India award.
- Executive Director, ISB&M School of Communication (2010-2011)
International School of Business and Media, Pune, Kolkata, and NOIDA campuses: Creating campuses in Kolkata and Noida for media within ISB&M (Only Pune was there earlier). Branding through Media Mindprints events across 12 cities. Strong editorial writing on the institute done. Creating the entire course outlined and detailed syllabus, and recruiting faculty for the same. Placing two batches in quick succession. ISBM Communication school got the best advertising course award in 2011.
(H) Dean of the Symbiosis International University, and (1998-2001; 2006-2010) Director of Symbiosis Institute of Media & Communication, Pune and Bengaluru campuses: Almost legendary branding done within six years of engagement in Symbiosis, with 20 cities events series named SIMC Footprints focused on all areas of media and communication learning. Industry footfall in Pune campus through annual events like Fest-o-Comm, National Radio Meet, National Cyber Media Conference, South Asian Youth Peace Meet. And ensuring double internship and final placements of several batches going upto 240 PG and 120 UG students in a single year. SIMC PG is currently the third ranked best media school of India and SIMC PG is the number one under-graduate media school of India. Also, launched the SIMC PG Bengaluru campus as well during 2009-10.
Media Adviser, The Nippon Foundation (Goodwill Ambassador, WHO), Delhi & Geneva: 2005: focusing more on creating messaging, media platforms, events and mainstream media PR for the WHO fight against eradication of Leprosy with Nippon Foundation President Yohei Sasakawa as the WHO Goodwill Ambassador in this Mission.
Media Adviser, Textiles Ministry, Government of India, Delhi: 2003-04: focusing on creating brand of Indian Textiles and quality mark, and positive PR for government initiatives in this context.
Worked with Business India Group, Zee Group, Observer group, Blitz, et al: 1991-1997: editorial engagements in various capacities.
Pursuing PhD Doctoral Thesis on Media Convergence in Pt Deendayal University (PDPU, Gujarat); Masters in International Relations, Jadavpur University;
PG Diploma in Journalism and Communication, 9th in all India CBSE Exams in 1981 (Class X)
- School Monitor, Ramkrishna Mission School, Along, Arunachal Pradesh
- Cultural Secretary, Jadavpur University Arts Faculty, Kolkata
- Leading role in seminars and debates across educational life
- Leadership of ICONS Media Consultancy, Delhi
- Managing Trustee, Generation Next Charitable Trust, Pune
- Addressed a session of UN Human Rights Commission, Geneva, on issues connected to human rights violations of people affected by leprosy even after their cure
- Addressed a session on WHO on social stigma connected to communicable diseases
- Addressed youth in 26 cities of India in 2003-04 on India: Vision 2020.
- Times of India Lead India Contest: Pune City Finalist.